Futures is a proud member of the Florida behavioral healthcare community committed to reducing the stigma surrounding addiction and its treatment. We invite you to join our virtual lecture series via the Zoom platform to learn from innovative practitioners, and enjoy a morning of knowledge, inspiration, and camaraderie. This will be a virtual lecture with Q&A to follow. We will provide a reminder and meeting link to anyone who has registered. This event is co-sponsored by BaysideCEU.
Identifying and understanding the traits of adult children of alcoholics, addicts, and dysfunctional families is important for helping our clients and patients recognize their own experiences, needs, and patterns of behavior. With understanding there comes safety, support, and validation. These are essential for us to create a safe and secure environment for our clients and patients to lean into vulnerability, which is important for healing. This course will unpack the best ways to support ACOA individuals on their healing journey by defining the key treatment methods to implement.
1. Participants will learn to identify the present-day characteristics of adult children of alcoholics, addicts, and dysfunctional families. As identified in the ACOA literature, page 5-6 of the Big Red Book, there are fourteen characteristics of an Adult Child that define the “Laundry List”.
2. Participants will learn how to identify the origin of ACOA traits in order to provide greater understanding and validation to their clients/patients. When we are able to provide language to our experiences, it is then that we are able to accurately move through the experience with greater awareness of our thoughts, feelings, and needs. Helping our clients/patients get to this point allows us to accurately treat the root causes of their ACOA traits.
3. Participants will be able to better understand how to help their clients/patients work through and overcome ACOA traits through proven treatment methods such as: CBT, DBT, EMDR therapy; as well as, the use of attachment theory, grief work, boundaries, and self-care.
LEARN AND EARN CEU’S AT OUR FREE LECTURE SERIES
You will need your license number and type to receive credit for this course. This course is approved for 2 hours through:
• Florida Board of Nursing
• Florida Board of Nursing-Certified Nursing Assistants
• Florida Board of Clinical SW, MFT, and MHC,
• Florida Certification Board
• Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, And Marriage and Family Therapist Board for LPC
• South Carolina Board of Social Work Examiners
• South Carolina Board of Examiners for Licensure of Professional Counselors, Marriage and Family Therapist
Brittni Harris, LMHC, LPC, MCAP, ICADC
Licensed Mental Health Counselor – Florida
Licensed Professional Counselor – Missouri
EMDRIA Trained EMDR Therapist | ACOA | Grief & Loss
“I’m passionate about my clients catching the vision that there is hope and healing for their lives. It’s a truth that can seem like a long way off at the start of therapy; however, with some courage, willingness, and determination it’s a reality that I see happen time and time again. One of my very first career opportunities out of graduate school allowed me to work with male and female parolees transitioning into the community from being incarcerated. It was during this time that my passion for second chances was ignited; I saw first-hand the power of belief and encouragement to instill hope and see lives transformed. I enjoy helping clients see their own worth, value, and potential; as well as, championing their strengths and helping them overcome destructive habits, past wounds, and unresolved core issues. After a decade plus in the field of mental wellness, re-entry, and substance abuse treatment, I understand the power held in each client finding their voice, sharing their voice, and living life authentically. I earned my Master’s degree in Counseling Psychology from Evangel University in Missouri where I also completed my undergraduate studies in Criminal Justice. In addition, I’m trained in EMDR therapy, Experiential therapy, and Motivational Interviewing. I find that using these styles of therapy help me tremendously in assisting my clients with understanding and working through core emotional, mental, and behavioral issues and concerns”
– Brittni Harris, LMHC, LPC, MCAP, ICADC